A circuitous route to Santiago de Compostela, Spain. Stage One beginning in Munich, Germany ending in Jerusalem - traveling through Austria, Italy, Albania, Macedonia, Greece, Turkey, Cyprus and Israel. Second stage from Vienna, through Germany, Czech Republic, Holland, Belgium, France and Spain.
Final destination - Santiago!

Post Script: The changeable situation in Jerusalem has led to a change in plans. The Rome to Jerusalem leg of this journey has been changed to the 'End to End' in the UK, after which the journey will resume as above in Vienna.

Saturday 28 June 2014

In Sound of Music Country, well almost

Today we had a lovely walk from Füssen, in Germany, to Ruette, in Austria.  We only walked about 18 kms for the day, and had completed our chores (washing ourselves and our clothes) by mid afternoon and were then able to go out and explore this really pretty town.
Crossing the Lech at Fussen.
The Lech further upstream.
Heading up the hill towards Ruette.  You might be able to spot a cyclist on the windy path we have just come up.
Descending the hill into Ruette.

Whichever way we look we can see mountains, high ones at that, and atop a couple of them are castle ruins. Ruins that I won't detour to see, as it would be a hefty climb, and I am more than likely to see others at my level!
A little church at Pflach.
A Franciscan church in Ruette - St Anna
A simple little church in the back streets of Ruette, with a splendid specimen of a weeping ...(elm?)
This church in Ruette was very different, which is why I have included it - it hasn't got an onion bulb on the top!

Joan is feeling a touch sad as her walking has finished.  Tomorrow she catches the train to Innsbruck to begin her journey home.  I will miss her company, and will have to resort to having a one sided conversation with myself when I come to an unclear fork in the path.  Tomorrow I will start climbing even higher into the Alps ready to cross the Fernpass in 2 days time.

4 comments:

  1. I have a photo of a much younger version of myself holding the sign at the border crossing near Fussen that leads into Austria. As an island-dweller it was a source of huge amusement to me that you could just walk across a border. Hope it is ok walking by yourself- will think of you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just saw something very funny. As someone who doesn't drink, my comment about enjoying Autia and beers is VERY funny. It should have been cheers, not beers! Janet

      Delete
  2. One day we will have to catch up for a few days to exchange all those travel / walking stories Margaret. I am loving Austria. Beers, Janet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We will indeed. I will have to come to Adelaide for a holiday before too much longer!

      Delete