A circuitous route to Santiago de Compostela, Spain. Stage One beginning in Munich, Germany ending in Jerusalem - traveling through Austria, Italy, Albania, Macedonia, Greece, Turkey, Cyprus and Israel. Second stage from Vienna, through Germany, Czech Republic, Holland, Belgium, France and Spain.
Final destination - Santiago!

Post Script: The changeable situation in Jerusalem has led to a change in plans. The Rome to Jerusalem leg of this journey has been changed to the 'End to End' in the UK, after which the journey will resume as above in Vienna.

Tuesday 23 September 2014

Getting close to Inverness

Day 3, Lybster to Dunbeath, 13 kms
Day 4, Dunbeath to Helmsdale, 25.4 kms
Day 5, Helmsdale to Brora, 19.5 kms
Day 6, Brora to Dornoch, 24.8 kms

I know the A9 highway very well.  Until today I have trudged along it every day.  It has got progressively busier the further south I have come.  The villages have been lovely, just getting to them has been a bit tricky at times.

Leaving Brora today I walked along the beach for about five miles, before having to get back on the A9 again so I could get around a Loch.  Once around the loch though I was able to get on a quiet back road again.

I am hopeful of being able to avoid the A9 for most of the way left to get to Inverness is short, so will let my photos tell the tale.
 Leaving Lybster.
 Just a bit further along.
It was so good to have a clear day and be able to see the views ahead and behind.  The segment along the coast on the way to Dunbeath was stunning.

 Heading to Dunbeath, though the day started sunny and clear, it finished quite hazy (below)
Dunbeath Harbour with the castle on the hillside. 
 I had so many warnings about the Berriedale Braes, they were steep, no verge and very dangerous.  A man had been killed on referendum day when his truck had jackknifed.  It turned out to be no-where as bad as I had been led to believe, and certainly no-where near as steep as the hills in Italy.  Quite a relief.
 Berriedale, and the "strath" (creek), which cut the Brae through the landscape.
 This statue was on a hill outside Helmsdale.  It is called "The Emigrants" I think it is particularly poignant.
The  inscription on the statue fits perfectly with the look on this woman's face.
"Commemorates the people of the Highlands and Islands of Scotland who, in the face of great adversity, sought freedom, hope and justice beyond these shores.  They and their descendants went forth and explored continents, built great countries and cities and gave their enterprise and culture to the world.
This is their legacy.
Their voices will echo forever through the empty straths and glens of their homeland.

Clynelish Farm, the B&B I stayed in at Brora.
Helmsdale is a salmon river.  The beehive like building at the bottom left is the ice house where they stored ice from the frozen loch so they could, in turn, store the salmon.
Both Brora and Helmsdale had similar unusual war memorials - a clock tower.  This is the first time I have seen this.  Helmsdale's (in the photo with the ice house) struck the hour, but Brora's chimed the quarter hour as well as striking.
It was lovely walking along the beach between Brora and Golspie, though hard work at times, especially on the rocks, and on the soft seaweed.
Imagine my surprise when I came around a bay, and was greeted by this sight.

This little fellow seems to be saying "do I really have to move, or can I just stay here".  Some of his rellies did go for a swim!.
Further along the beach Dunrobin Castle came into view, and I walked through the grounds (below) as I got closer.


This side is where I am going, the other is where I have come from!

No comments:

Post a Comment