A circuitous route to Santiago de Compostela, Spain. Stage One beginning in Munich, Germany ending in Jerusalem - traveling through Austria, Italy, Albania, Macedonia, Greece, Turkey, Cyprus and Israel. Second stage from Vienna, through Germany, Czech Republic, Holland, Belgium, France and Spain.
Final destination - Santiago!

Post Script: The changeable situation in Jerusalem has led to a change in plans. The Rome to Jerusalem leg of this journey has been changed to the 'End to End' in the UK, after which the journey will resume as above in Vienna.

Thursday 8 January 2015

Soggy Devon

The end is in site!  Tonight I sat down and worked out, as best I can, my itinerary over the next couple of weeks, the time I will need to get to Lands End.

Although it is still winter, cold and wet, I have had the distinct impression that spring is on its way.  As I have made my way south I have been frequently told that I am heading towards warmer weather, and making my way through Somerset and into Devon I am noticing a difference in the plants.  I have seen Forsythia in bloom, daffodils are poking their heads through the soggy ground, some with buds really filling out, and I have seen some hyacinths pushing through the soil.  In some places I have seen heather blooming too.

This area is very tricky to work my way through.  Accommodation is far from plentiful and so I have stayed a couple of nights in one place, having the luxury of walking without a pack, and catching a bus back.  The problem is I am now in the heart of Devon and buses are even scarcer than accommodation which means I might have a few long days ahead.
The Church at Bishops Hull.
 The new "cash crop".  Over the past few days I have been passing many fields of this crop!  It will keep you warm, but it won't feed you!
 This lane, near Nynehead, was like walking in a gorge.
 The views as I walked along were wonderful.

Some heather in bloom at a monument commemorating a ploughing competition.

After leaving Langford Budville I headed down to the main road so that I could catch a bus to Tiverton, where I was staying.  On the way I met a man who took great pride in telling me some snippets about the town of Wellington which could be seen in the distance.  He told me that the chimney stacks were part of a woollen factory where gaiters were made for the soldiers in the first world war.  The fleeces came in, and then came out as fabric, made into woolen gaiters (we called them puttees in NZ).

The monument on top of the distant hill was to the Duke of Wellington, commemorating the Battle of Waterloo.  According to my chatty acquaintance the Duke got his name from poking a needle into a map, which was upside down.  It landed on Wellington and from then on he was the Duke of Wellington!
Looking across at the town of Wellington.  The chimney is just visible in the centre front.
 I grew up on Longwood Road.  This is Longwood Lane!  Somewhat different!
Nearly at the end of Longwood Lane.
 The Grand Western Canal flows between Taunton and Tiverton.  The weather was threatening, but it didn't rain, and if it had these fisherman were well protected.

I keep getting surprised by the canals I come across, though I think this will be the last one.  They make for easy, but interesting, walking especially when we don't have anything like this at home.
 The market in Tiverton, a lovely market town.......
 .......and St Peters Church in Tiverton.
After crossing the River Exe my path led past these buildings and St Paul's Church.
It was a day of grand views across the hillsides.
Looking back towards Tiverton, part way up 
Long Drag Hill.


Witheridge Moor is between two moors, Dartmoor and Exmoor, and it means weather ridge.  It was probably given this name because it is actually the highest point on the moors and because of that it has its own particular weather patterns.  The village itself is rather delightful and was once the centre for cattle markets.
Crossing Witheridge Moor.  The Australian in me went "there's a snaky paddock", but not so here.  The area was waterlogged with little streams pouring into the ditches beside the road, or onto the road itself.
 I was very relieved that I didn't have to follow this path............
.........and looking ahead to the way that I did have to walk!  I was faced with negotiating puddles and streams of water along the lanes for most of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment